Monday, June 17, 2013

Earthly Father, Heavenly Father


Happy Father’s Day to all who read this!  I’ve pondered a lot about Fathers, and the importance of them in our lives especially because of yesterday. I had a wonderful privilege of speaking yesterday at church. For those who have been reading this for a while know that two months ago I spoke in church but at least this time he called to ask us at 8:30pm instead of 9:30pm.  I only stayed up until 1:30am to prepare and study but last time we were up until 3:30am preparing. 
So, as of right now I’m very tired, but very blessed that I spoke because it made me ponder over my life and the importance of Prayer and Fathers. Just as our earthly father wants to hear from us and know how we are doing our Heavenly Father definitely wants to know us... so we MUST update him every day through prayer. My Dad last week sent me an email that he sent to our bishop regarding prayer to Heavenly Father and why we do it.  Totally inspired I think. I used some parts of it in my talk.  My dad was saying that “you aren’t praying because God needs you to pray, you are praying because He wants you to pray because He wants you to develop a relationship with Him… The process of prayer is for us, it transforms ourselves, not God.” I love what my dad said, how it’s important for us to pray so we develop that relationship and transform ourselves. I stated on Father’s day mind you, that every Father in that room can find something to improve on; they can be better while carrying out the duties as a father, and they can always progress.
 I made 6 steps on how I have found we can grow closer to our Father in Heaven:
1: Pray at a quiet time and place
2: Update your Father on your life
3: Have Hope, Faith, or Belief that He truly is listening to you.
4: Thank Him for EVERYTHING He has given you. Humble yourself, be grateful and ask for NOTHING only thank.
5: Tell Him you want to be closer and know Him better and promise you’ll strive to accomplish that.
6: Close in thankfulness for His Son, our Savior and Redeemer Jesus Christ.
I made this up that night and have used it for the past 2 nights and I have felt so wonderful after I stop praying.  I can promise if you try those steps that you will feel closer to God.
Later I shared a little of my story.  For the 1st time ever in this ward I shared publically what I’ve gone through with losing my mother. I didn’t want to do it because I don’t want pity or attention or for anyone to treat me different but I felt prompted by the Spirit to share it. As I have gone through this trial I have tremendously developed a STRONGER relationship with my earthly and Heavenly Father; it took a trial for me to personally learn this. Learn from my mistake... turn to both of them NOW, let both of them help you and show their love they have for you. My dad is the greatest man I know. I don’t think I’ll ever meet a better one. I LITERALLY can’t find one flaw in him, one wrong thing he’s done or said. I’ve never felt closer to Him in my entire life. I believe it's because we both have gone through the hardest thing we have ever faced and we both turned to our Heavenly Father to get comfort, courage and strength and it had Bonded us closer together. I love both so dearly. I know through these two Father figures in my life I can overcome any and all obstacles and that I will never feel alone or abandoned, because they show their love to me. I pray each of you will strengthen your relationship with your Earthly and Heavenly Father. Also I give some credit to my mom because behind every great man is a great WOMAN and I know my dad can agree to this statement!  :)

Update on missionary work. It was a tough week.  
It was our first one with the new changes with our area being divided into a north and south and having new sister missionaries come in. We lost 75% of the people we taught and all 4 of our baptisms planned so that’s been hard to basically start all over again but I KNOW the Lord has a perfect plan and reason for it. We are definitely humbled about all this. We have found wonderful new people to teach, (actual families) which are what I have been praying for. 
 It was tough to hear people's problems this last week. We have been working with a lady who is addicted to hard core drugs and pills and shoots up every day. We helped her stay clean for 3 days but the temptation was too strong. She texted us and said there was no hope for her. I don’t EVER want to hear those words again. I know that through Christ there is hope for everyone so please help those around you who feel hopeless. Love the heck out of them, then help them, and then hug them. Make them feel special just like the Savior did when He was on the earth. Seeing how badly the world is getting and the problems in it are hard to see but makes me REJOICE in knowing the plan of happiness and know truth and to be part of Christ church here on the earth. Stay strong everyone!
Love to you all,
Elder Taylor  
A picture of our white board after the sisters came in ... I had to erase almost everything!

picture of me and elder broulim just chilling on the couch

No comments:

Post a Comment