Monday, February 18, 2013

First Week in El Paso, Texas!


I'm so tired! I thought I was tired at the MTC but that was nothing compared to this. 

My companion is awesome and our area needs a lot of work but we have a baptism on Saturday. We have a lot of people we set appointments with next week so we're meeting with them soon and have a good feeling about a lot of them so we will see! I was able to attend another wards baptism yesterday and it was amazing to see.. the joy that comes with baptism and making that promise and receiving the Holy Ghost is so awesome.

There is a lot of goodness in the world but SO MUCH evil ... like the world is getting worse and worse and to me it's hard to see. I've talked to people and tried helping people who have done or are going through horrible things.. like stuff I don't ever want to share. So many people are getting divorced too or are in 3rd marriages and that's something I feel is sacred and people treat it like nothing. But there are still a few people we talk to that need this Gospel to help and bless their lives.

I ran into an African American family a few days ago and the dad was a military guy and wasn't at first interested, but by the time we stopped talking he took his hat off and bowed down to us and was almost tearing up and said, "You servants from the Lord are here for a reason. Come back Tuesday and don't eat. I want you to teach my whole family."  I KNOW we were there at that time for a reason. We were kinda sad because our appointment canceled that night so we just went knocking and ran into that guy. So tomorrow we are teaching him.  I'll let you guys know how it is. 

We have taught this guy Raymundo and boy is he something else. He's 60 and alone ... just him and his dog.  He has a Spanish accent and isn't a believer in God and just thinks of the craziest questions but we answer them and even though he gets on our last nerves we still love and care for him. I've only met with like ONE white family this whole week I've been here... everyone is Hispanic here.. it's nothing like Texas. It's like Mexico but just not as dangerous as it is in Juarez which is like 10 min away from us. We hear about the Cartel a lot here too and crazy stories. A lot of Mexicans here are sad because they used to live there but had to leave because of how dangerous it is.

Also there's a 15 year old girl who is an investigator. Her LDS friend (that's a girl)  dropped a rose off at her house and said it was from us. So when we went to her house her mom said she wasn't there but that the rose we dropped off made her day and was so grateful for it. W were ere like uhhhh .... that's not from us! ha ha As missionaries we don't do that! So, yea, that was really awkward!! haha  

Well, anyways, there are a lot more stories I can tell but just don't have time but next week I'll be able to share some more crazy ones and talk about the baptism. Love you all and love hearing from everyone! The church is TRUE! 

Elder Taylor 


This picture was sent from a sister at the mission office.
It is Elder Taylor and other Elders/Sisters at the 
New Mexico Albuquerque Temple on the day they arrived


 LDS Church building in El Paso, Texas

Elder Taylor and Elder Schneider

A glimpse of their apartment





Elder Taylor's family received this email on February 12th (the day after he arrived in the mission field)...

Dear Taylor family,


We just had a great dinner with your son, Elder Taylor! I guess we were his first dinner appointment in the mission field! We are so excited to have him in our ward. We love our missionaries. He didn't want me to tell you his area because he is hopefully going to email you himself tommorow, and he wanted to be the one to tell you.  :) but I thought you'd like to know he is safe and doing well! It was fun to talk to him because my daughter is the same age as your daughter-first grade-so my daughter thought that was really cool. We will take good care of him! This is a picture of my kids with Elder Taylor and Elder Schneider.


Love,
Adrianne Snyder



No comments:

Post a Comment